The Battle for Your Employees Attention: 5 Training Truths Unveiled
Employee training has transformed into an intricate dance between engagement and attention. The days of lengthy manuals and one-size-fits-all training apps are behind us, replaced by a new set of undeniable truths that cater to the evolving preferences of the modern workforce. Check out the five training truths as surveyed by Engage by Cell.
The 5 Truths of Training
1. Employees don’t want apps. They are wary of work-centric apps because they take up precious storage on their phones and because employees are concerned about privacy issues. This includes the perceived possibility of you using the app to spy on them.
2. They enjoy receiving text messages. Many employees would rather hear from you by text because it already fits into their daily routines.
3. They have short attention spans. Employees will use their phone for three to five minutes at a time. Many employers have embraced this concept, known as “microlearning,” which allows employees to learn work-related concepts one-at-a-time. According to a study by Network World, people touch their phone more than 2,500 times each day. That’s hundreds of clicks, taps and swipes spread over many hours — rather than all at once.
4. They will click a link delivered by text. When your messaging is succinct, and your use of of text messaging is not excessive, employees are happy to learn and communicate by SMS.
5. They enjoy being rewarded and entertained. Your employees prefer assignments that are fun, engaging and rewarding. Include games, polls and contests to increase engagement. And if you track their engagement, you can reward them, oftentimes with gamification.
What about LMS Systems and Mobile Engagement?
Learning management systems are built for the desktop experience. Many of their content creation, management and dissemination features are not compatible with smartphone technology, and are not ideal for learning or training on a mobile phone. Some don’t offer both content creation and database and management platforms.
It will take you hours to create one interaction using an LMS. That’s OK if the end users will engage with that interaction for several hours, but way too long when you want them to process that information within a few minutes. Engage by Cell excels in this area by providing the platform for burst or “boost” learning.
Engage by Cell was built for mobile use. Create engagements, push out the notifications and track usage, all in minutes and in real-time. Integrate with your existing LMS via xAPI (or if the LMS is SCORM-compliant).These integrations allow for the quick, seamless transfer of data from one platform to the other. Engage by Cell works in tandem with the existing LMS.
Engage by Cell allows you to use your existing content.
Building and disseminating content takes minutes.
Content dissemination and communication using text messaging (SMS and MMS).
No download requirements.
Call Engage by Cell at 415-615-0150 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how mobile technology can work alongside your existing LMS.